Friday, January 30, 2009

Clinton: Obama Should Visit Darfur, Congo

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton told reporters today that she is encouraging President Obama to make a state visit to some of the world’s hot spots as soon as possible. Clinton is proposing an itinerary that includes Darfur, Congo, Gaza and Waziristan. “The President needs to shine a beacon of hope on the most lawless and violent spots in the world and I think the only way to do this is for him to go there personally. I am encouraging him to make this trip immediately and I strongly recommend that he be accompanied by Joe Biden, and Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi.” When questioned as to whether such a trip might be too dangerous, Clinton responded “Exactly.”

Senator Robert Byrd, who is President pro tempore of the Senate, disagreed strongly with the Clinton. “To send Obama, Biden, and Pelosi on a dangerous mission…that would leave me first in line to the Presidency…I’m old and, well, the shock to my system if that were to take place…I mean I nearly keeled over at the inaugural lunch when Teddy had his spell…I think it would do me in. And that would mean the Secretary of State would need to assume the Presidency and I’m sure Mrs. Clinton wouldn’t want that.”

No comments: